UPDATED June 29 2008
So I will reveal the method to create that effect in Adobe Photoshop to anyone who wishes to know about it 😉
Okay, this thread has been getting a lot of traffic everyday, so im writing a small tutorial for it!
CLICK on the images to get a clearer view
1. Create a canvas 800×600. Black Background. Write some text. Rasterize the Layer. Duplicate the text layer. Keep a copy of the rasterised text untouched. Merge the rest.
3. Layer2 Filter/Distort/Ripple Amount 75% Size Small
4. Image/Rotate Canvas/90 CW and then Layer2 Filter/Stylize/Wind Direction “Left” x twice, Direction “Right” x twice
5. Layer2 Filter/Distort/Ripple Amount 100% Size Medium then Image/Rotate Canvas/90 CCW
Layer2 now looks like:
6. Select Layer1. Hide layer 2 from view.
Pick Magic Wand. Select the first character. Right click/Add to Selection and select all characters
Select/Modify/Contact 3 Pixels
Select Paint Tool. Right Click/Master Diameter Adjust as needed. Pick Colour. Run your brush over the selection on one straight horizontal swipe.
Unhide Layer2. Now things should something like this
If you tweak along the various stages with settings you can get great effects. Like converting the Canvas in to Polar coordinates. Filter/Distort/Polar Coordinates “Rectangular to Polar” and then applying wind would yeild something like
Have fun :D!!